Refunds & Petitions

A student who withdraws from the university, drops to a lower fee category, or has a campus fee or fine reversed on their student account, may be eligible for a refund.

Refunds will first be applied to any outstanding debt owed to the University. To obtain a refund, submit the "Request for Refund" form to Student Financial Services - Cashier's Office. Refunds will be processed within 21 days.

The Application Fee, Installment Fee, Late Registration Fee, and Administrative Fee are NOT refundable. Students who OFFICIALLY withdraw or drop units within the published deadlines do not need to complete a Request for Refund as refunds will automatically be issued. Please see here for the Registrar's official calendar of deadlines.

Students who would like to request a refund for a purchase made through the Cashier's Office or their student payment portal can do so by filling out the "Request for Refund Form" below. Please note that this form is not intended for refunds regarding tuition and fees, or other mandatory charges. Please see the Withdraw from University section below for more information about how to petition mandatory fees.

Schedule Adjustments

Students who change their unit load to a lower fee category, e.g., nonresident students who drop units or resident students who drop from full-time to part-time, must do so on or before the registration add/drop deadline (dates listed below), in order to receive a refund. No refunds will be given for units dropped after this date. Note: units added after this date are charged at regular rates.

Fall 2024 Spring 2024
September 9, 2024 January 29, 2024

Withdraw From the University

To receive a full refund of fees, students must withdraw from all classes by the following date:

Fall 2024 Spring 2024
August 25, 2024 January 15, 2024

To officially withdraw from the University, please contact the Office of the Registrar on the 1st floor of the Student Business Services (SBS) or (707) 826-4101.

Students who withdraw from the university or drop all registered units on or after the first day of instruction and before the 60% point in the semester will receive an automatic refund of a portion of their fees. The refund will be prorated based on the number of calendar days that the student was enrolled and the total number of days in the semester. Below are the 60% points in the semester and no refunds will be issued for withdraws after these dates.

Fall 2024 Spring 2024
October 28, 2024 March 28, 2024

NOTE: It is the student's responsibility to properly withdraw from the university if they do not plan to attend. Non-attendance does not relieve students of any debt incurred due to registration activity. 

Students who withdraw from the university may also owe any non-refundable fees already assessed to their account plus registration and tuition fees, which are calculated based on their withdrawal date. For students who withdraw after the registration add/drop deadline (dates listed below), a $20.00 late drop fee is charged for each class dropped.

Fall 2024 Spring 2024
September 9, 2024 January 29, 2024

In cases where students are withdrawing from a prior or current term, they will be required to submit a Petition of Tuition and Fees in order to have their tuition and fees adjusted. This petition cannot be submitted until a withdrawal has been approved by the Office of the Registrar.

Financial Aid Recipients (Return of Title IV Aid)

A student who receives aid and drops units, withdraws, drops out, is expelled, etc., during or after the first day of instruction will be reviewed in accordance with the Federal Title IV Return of Title IV Policy. Federal regulations require using the pro rata calculation if the student withdrew on or before the 60% date of the enrollment period.

Generally, if fees are paid by financial aid and the student withdraws from the University before the 60% date, the financial aid will be returned to the Federal Title IV Financial Aid program. A repayment situation may occur when a student receives aid in excess of their tuition and fees and then drops units or ceases attendance. The student will be required to return the fund directly to the University.

If you received a State University Grant or CAL Grant that paid your tuition fee, you are not eligible for a refund.

Tuition Assistance

The Institution has a policy that returns any unearned tuition assistance (TA) funds on a proportional basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided.

Tuition Assistance funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based on when a student stops attending. The funds will be returned to the military Service Branch that provided the funding and will not be returned to the student. 

Students should contact Student Financial Services at (707) 826-4407 regarding fee refunds and return of financial aid.